In today's economic climate it is ever more important that organisations are effective in allocating resources. Therefore there is an increasing tendency for organisations to require well thought through business cases for projects. These business cases need to be approached in a disciplined manner and address all the questions that those being asked for approval need answering. This course takes a generic approach to business case formulation that can be applied in any organisation.
On completion of this course you will:
- understand what a business case is – and what it isn't
- appreciate the importance of stakeholders and managing relationships with these stakeholders
- recognise the need to ensure that the business case is aligned with the strategy of the organisation or business unit
- understand the principles of evaluation (this is covered in more detail in a separate online CPD course - Investment appraisal basics)
- know how to put together a high level implementation plan
- review what kind of risks might need to be considered
- understand what kind of format and presentation the business case should comprise
- recognise the importance of post completion reviews.
Authored by: Richard Mallett FCMA, CGMA
Richard is a fellow of CIMA and a member of the Association of Corporate Treasurers. He has held senior positions at Boots, Reed Elsevier and Sainsbury's - where he was Group Treasurer and subsequently Group Financial Controller. Richard was appointed Technical Director of CIMA in 2001 with responsibility for maintaining and enhancing CIMA's authority in management accounting, financial reporting and related business areas. He completed six months of freelance consultancy with Intangible Business, the specialist brand valuation consultancy before joining BPP as a CPD presenter in 2010.
A CPD certificate of completion will be provided by BPP Professional Education Limited upon successful completion of the online course.
CPD Points: 1.5
CPD Duration (hours): 1.5
Access: 12 months from purchase date